Friday, December 22, 2017

I'm On A Boat - 12/18/17

Hey Fam!! Well I have moved on to a new phase in my mission. Friday night I got a call from Elder Slade, the secretary of the mission and let me know that I would bne leaving Reconquista and going to Goya Corrientes. I was super shocked... I honestly didnt believe it for a little. But here I am in Goya. I was a little bummed to leave reconquista because there are 5 for sure baptisms that will happen this transfer with people I have been teaching since I got there but I am super excited to be here cause my new comp is ELder Teves. This dude is SO cool. He is one of the few guys in the mission that I would like to meet up with again and keep in contact. I got to know him a little 2 transfers ago when he was in the REconquista zone but then was emergancy transfered to be a zone leader in Goya. Well one tranfer after, I get transfered to be his comp. He is from Buenos Aires and is such a genuine guy. He is super well known in the mission for being a super successsful missionary and very carasmatic. Also, Goya is a super cool town. It is basically the same size as Reconquista, but is alot more anciently buit. The streets are a lot more crowded and the buildings are older. I am really excited to be here for christmas. 

This week we were unable to have our #lighttheworld event because it rained. So they suspended it for this next saturday in which the Ortiz Family will be baptised. And in this mission, it is just impossible to ask for permission to go to a baptism in another zone because zones here are super far apart. For example, Reconquista and Goya are 3 hours apart in boat and 9 hours apart in bus. But I will get pictures of the event and the baptism next week. But it was bittersweet saying bye to my good friends in reconwuista. Julio Ponce was probably one on my best friends that I gained there. He is just a really educated guy who knows how to treat people. He will be a very influencial leaderr in the church in reconquista and I am excited for his future. He is a member of one year who will be getting his endowments this next week. It is a interesting story becuase his whole family got baptised together and now him and his daughter are the only ones left active while his wife and other kids go to another evangelical church. Super strong and faithful. 

With transfers, I got a call from the asistents that they were going to do a test with me. Like I said, it is 9 hours from recon to Gya, But there is also a Boat that goes crosses the Rio Paraná taking mainly semi trucks and other vehicals. And is only 3 hours compared to the bus option. So at 6am I got on a boat and crossed the river. It was super fun. But funny story when I got off the boat in Goya, There wasnt any body there to pick me up. I got off and then sat in an empty dirt parking lot for 2 hours alone waiting for some missionary from goya to come pick me up and take me into goya(because the dock is 5 miles away from the actualy city). So there I was and then at 10:30am a car came and a guy got out and asked me if I had saw a certain girl get off the boat, Which I had and told him that she got in another car and left for Goya. He then offered to take me into goya, And I accepted because I felt like it would be a perfect oppurtunity to let a stranger have a good experience helping/serving a mormon missionary. I got into Eziquiel´s car(that was his name) and we talked all the way to goya. While I was in the car, I realized that it mightve been a stupid idea to get into a starngers car, but it turned out to be a really nice experience and I learned that his 91 year old grandmoother was having surgery that afternoon. I got his address and passed it to the sisters that work in the area of where he lives. 

But I am super happy to be here... I am thinking it muight be my last area. TOday I got my trunky papers, which is a document the mission sends us in which we have to inform them what air port we want to be sent to(I put cancun) , the email of mom & dad, and stuff like that. So it is just a sign of the times. But I am super excited to get some real work done here in Goya with ELder Teves. I will let you all go for now. But know tha tI love yall. 

Corbin Keicher



No comments:

Post a Comment